Carlos couldn’t find chicken broth at the store he want to so he had to get creative. He bought a premade (not the concentrated stuff — this was already thinned so you could eat it) cream of mushroom soup mix which we dilute with a little more water. We also used a cup of vegetable bullion. It worked and came out really delicious. Doing the stuffing in the Crock pot is definitely the way to go because it stays so moist.
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 small garlic cloves minced
- 1 apple, peeled
- 1 bay leaf, finely chopped/crumpled
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 3 cups liquid: 3/4 cup vegetable bullion, 2 cups dilute mushroom soup
- 4 cups oven-baked bread pieces (I set mine out in pieces the night before and then baked them to make them until golden brown)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Salt to taste if desired
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- chopped walnuts if desired
Chop the onion, garlic and celery finely (t-mix made it easy) and saute in a pan. Add the sage, bay leaf and apple. Put the bread pieces in a large bowl and pour in the sauteed mixture, liquid, butter and salt and pepper and walnuts. Add the beaten egg last. Place in the crock pot and cook on high for 45 minutes-1 hour and then set on low for 4. Leave out enough stuffing for the bird and only stuff into the bird right before it goes in the oven.